Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Not About the Grades (But All About the Food)

My very own subway station
Before 10:30 this morning, I had already:
-walked 1.2 miles
-sat through a biology lecture (about ATP and energy if you must know)
-exchanged numbers with a girl in my science class (er'body wants my digits)
-eaten my first New York bagel (believe the hype)
-AND bought some epsom salt for my feet (NYC is destroying my feet)

This is essentially how busy I am every single day here. On Tuesdays and Thursdays my day starts particularly early because of my aforementioned 8 a.m. science class (I know), which means I also treat myself to some breakfast or coffee outside the realms of my university's dining hall.

The Arch at night, feat. Empire State Building
Trying different cheap restaurants and cafes has been a really fun part of living in the city for me. The other day some friends and I wanted ice cream, and instead we found a Popbar (which apparently are very trendy in California? This was the first time I've ever even heard of the concept) where we chose from a variety of popsicle flavors, and then dipped the popsicles in chocolate and toppings. It was probably the most hipster thing I've ever participated in.

The Freedom Tower near the 9/11 Museum
However, eating in the actual city versus within university buildings does in fact cost money. Lots of it. I figure spending money on things like food and groceries is better than, you know, going out on 5th Avenue shopping sprees every weekend, or like, using the money to buy crack, but it definitely adds up just the same. That goes for a lot of things in the city, too. I'm slowly learning that being a New Yorker as a student is not the same as being a New Yorker with a job and a steady income. There's still so much to see and do and experience, but without the cash, your options are definitely more limited.

Some random fair near the park! See next pic...
Being a college student does make you appreciate little things a whole lot more, though. Like today, when I sat down to eat my bagel and I took it out of the brown paper bag to find it warm and toasted and oozing cream cheese, I actually could have cried.

In the same way, it makes you appreciate and long for the things you no longer have consistent access to, like privacy. And absolute quiet. And non-paper products (Hugs and quality time with your family too. But don't tell them I said that).

It's not all bad though. In fact, for the most part, college is really, really awesome. My professors are all really passionate and interesting, class time is actually enjoyable and productive, and almost all of my classmates are engaged and generally interested in the topics being discussed. Basically, the exact opposite of high school!

...for amazing street food, eaten in the park that same, lovely day
There is a lot of reading assigned, and a lot of the reading involves authors with names like Thucydides, but I feel like I'm actively learning rather than working to get a good grade in a class. My writing professor told us in the first 15 minutes of our first class that if we were looking to take her course to get a good grade, we should make arrangements to drop. My first reaction was to nearly poo my pants (she's a pretty intense woman), but the more I thought about it, the more comfortable with the concept I became. I didn't come to college to hang a pretty report card on the fridge. I came to become a better writer. So come hell or scary writing teachers (I kid, she's awesome), I'm gonna learn in this institution. Let incriminating grade letters and numbers be damned.

I will need someone to remind me I said this when grades come out at the end of the semester however. Foot in mouth, and all of that.

There's so much to tell, but I only have two and half hours to read 30 pages of the History of the Peloponnesian War before my next class, so until next time...

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment